One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A clerical collar.
- ‘The church has had a monopoly on birth, death and marriage rituals for centuries, but life's great moments don't need a dog collar to make them special.’
- ‘I then made a cardboard dog collar, dressed in black and went out into the streets of our fair city where I proceeded to smear the ash all over the foreheads of willing recipients who thought I was a kindly old priest.’
- ‘They will all be entitled to wear a dog collar and officiate at baptisms and funerals, but more training for another year is required before they can become priests, conduct marriages and preside at communion services.’
- ‘It's just a thought, but who's to say what miracles might happen if every lady vicar put a slick of mascara on along with her dog collar?’
- ‘And then he will perform a quick costume change before emerging in his dog collar and cassock to lead the ceremony.’
- ‘Suffice to say that yesterday saw the start of advent, a fact which was noted by the visiting preacher at our Church yesterday, by the fact that he wore a purple shirt with his dog collar.’
- ‘He also confirmed Aitken's plans to study theology but added: ‘Let's scotch this rumour that he's going to get a dog collar round his neck and go off to the Church.’’
- ‘His week-days are spent suited and booted as a corporate banker - but on Sunday he puts on a dog collar to be a Church of England priest.’
- ‘‘It's the very worst scenario,’ said the local Methodist minister, melting under his dog collar in the morning sun.’
- ‘Recalling what had happened, the reverend told how he had been grabbed by the dog collar.’
- ‘Tonight as I walked home from the station, the local vicar, done up in his dog collar, was putting out the bins.’
- ‘Down by the college flats near Darwin, I saw an old and slightly raddled bloke in a dog collar and full priestly garb.’
- ‘Even her husband's teddy bear, known affectionately as Father Ted, took part, dressed in dog collar and stock.’
- ‘‘The vast majority of churches had never experienced a woman in a dog collar before,’ said Ms Vann.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.