Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for coupling two shafts in order to transmit motion, one part having teeth which engage with slots in another.
- ‘The dog clutch slides along the axle shaft and engages on the side of the differential carrier.’
- ‘Check the engagement lugs on the dog clutch and also the corresponding lugs on the faces of the gears.’
- ‘It uses dog clutches to engage the drives and utilises their robust nature to eliminate damage to the gears.’
- ‘I am looking for a dog clutch for an old 272 Ford motor installed in an old ski boat I have just purchased.’
- ‘Interlocks are provided so that the brake and dog clutch can only be selected in ‘idle’ mode.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.