Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
physician, medical practitioner, medical man, medical woman, clinician, doctor of medicine, mdView synonyms
- ‘Japanese national health insurance is such that for each bill from the doc, you pay 30% and the government pays the rest.’
- ‘Need I point out that they provided better health care than my current doc does?’
- ‘I attended a talk by a doc from the medical group just two days back.’
- ‘There is no service option to talk to the doc covering your physician's practice on call.’
- ‘Its effects are minor, and no good pulmonary doc or allergist I know of would use it as a first-line controller.’
- ‘The study was small (59 primary care docs and 65 surgeons) so I truly question its validity.’
- ‘After a quick evaluation, I got a clean bill of health from the docs, who told me I'd be released the following morning.’
- ‘Quick doc, my friend has just been bit by a black snake, what do I do?’
- ‘But the best humor advice is to shamelessly steal material from my fellow docs, nurses and patients as well.’
- ‘The doc stared at the psychotic girl who was yammering away at him.’
- ‘We need to do something about these frivolous lawsuits that are running up the cost of your health care and running good docs out of business.’
- ‘And when the docs who are getting reimbursed by the federal government practice defensive medicine, it runs up the cost to the taxpayers.’
- ‘The alarming trend for desperate medical sector docs and surgeons to reduce waiting lists by doing non-urgent but easy procedures first is life threatening and wrong.’
- ‘Others have physical problems that traditional docs haven't been able to cure.’
- ‘Some of those crazy quack docs had me taking plenty of these at one point in time, let me tell you!’
- ‘If you take him to a psychiatrist and the doc wants to give him medication right off the bat, you can always turn around and go home.’
- ‘Instead, you can ask your new doc all those teen health-related questions.’
- ‘Your first step is to get a physical by your family doc to make sure the symptoms aren't related to some other problem.’
- ‘I know of a few docs in Chicago who practice this technique.’
- ‘At our pediatrics clinic, docs are making sure the infants with a history of lung disease get the influenza vaccine - the most vulnerable, first.’
- ‘I tried opening a couple of MS Word docs and a couple of MS Excel docs, and on each occasion StarOffice crashed fatally.’
- ‘And although PDF firmly entrenched itself as an information vessel, handling PDF docs is not always an easy thing.’
- ‘I converted all my constantly used docs and spreadsheets to the suite's native file format.’
- ‘For people like me who are involved in general research, there are some weeks when locked docs with missing passwords seem to be a way of life.’
- ‘I decided to surf to the NSA site to look at some docs and possibly acquire the downloads concerning SE Linux.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.