Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large grey North American winged insect related to the alderflies. Its predatory aquatic larva (the hellgrammite) is often used as fishing bait.
- ‘Eastern dobsonflies live east of the Rocky Mountains in the United States and Canada.’
- ‘With the exception of the wetland species, dobsonflies are generally found in well-oxygenated lakes and streams.’
- ‘Fishflies and dobsonflies are nocturnal, while alderflies are active during the day.’
- ‘The fierce-looking, winged dobsonfly has a life cycle that lasts two to five years.’
- ‘Whereas, the aquatic immature spends several years in a stream, the adult dobsonfly lives only about 7 days.’
Early 20th century: of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.