One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of acoustic guitar with steel resonating discs inside the body under the bridge.
- ‘They were young, good-looking and although their music undoubtedly had a pop crossover appeal, they were patently ‘real’ country, with fiddles and banjos and dobros to the fore.’
- ‘Fiddles, dobros, and crying steel guitars abound, doing a superb job of complementing Bentley's strong, deep voice and good lyrics.’
- ‘Just one listen to the sweet dobro and accordion peeking through the unabashedly tender song and you realize that he is still as much of a romantic as ever.’
- ‘We had the autoharp and the dobro come in at the same time, and they are kind of rear-ish in the mix.’
- ‘Baxter is probably best known as the ace pedal steel, banjo, dobro, guitar, all-'round musical utility guy for many musicians.’
1950s: from Do(pěra) Bro(thers), the Czech-American inventors of the instrument.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.