Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rich cake made of alternate layers of sponge and chocolate or mocha cream, with a crisp caramel topping.
- ‘Opulent pastries included thick, silken chocolate marquis and a multilayered mocha Dobos torte held together by gorgeous butter cream.’
- ‘The showstopper had to be a contemporary version of the Hungarian Dobos Torte!’
- ‘The judges wanted a modern take on the Hungarian dobos torte, a multi-layered sponge cake topped with caramel slices.’
- ‘Jennifer was baking dobos torte, so I stopped by.’
- ‘The bakers prepare yeast-leavened cakes, the 24-step Swedish princess torte and a contemporary version of the Hungarian Dobos torte.’
From German Dobostorte, named after József C. Dobos (1847–1924), Hungarian pastry cook.
Dobos torte/ˈdɒbɒʃ ˈtɔːtə/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.