One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Take the most honourable or appropriate course of action, even if is not necessarily in one's own interests.‘after his defeat he should do the decent thing and step down’
- ‘It is high time that all concerned get off their horse and do the decent thing in the interest of the people.’
- ‘You should do the decent thing and resign with immediate effect.’
- ‘Everyone makes mistakes and when they do, responsible media outlets do the decent thing and retract, apologise and pay damages if necessary.’
- ‘Joanna gets pregnant and Steve does the decent thing; he marries her.’
- ‘Politicians, on the other hand, are not generally known or recognised for doing the decent thing, most especially in the campaign leading up to a general election.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.