One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Engage in the kind of behaviour typically associated with someone or something.‘a film in which he does the bad-guy thing’
- ‘He got the crowd doing the waving arms thing.’
- ‘While we're doing the media thing, might as well be time for a roundup.’
- ‘Oh I'm definitely gonna do the sneakers thing, we're all doing it.’
- ‘Can we do the whole presentations thing tomorrow?’
- ‘He is just doing the no drinking thing to keep me happy.’
- ‘We watched a game, had a few beers, did the lads thing, and generally I had a ball.’
- ‘I resisted the temptation to do the charades thing that indicates it's a book.’
- ‘He noticed she was a carrying a book or two and decided to do the gentlemen thing.’
- ‘I don't do the tests thing very often these days.’
- ‘I don't do the whole meeting-the-parents thing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.