One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Act in a way that gives someone cause to feel pleased or satisfied.‘they did themselves proud in a game which sent the fans home happy’
- ‘We congratulate our swimmers for participating on the day and doing us proud, competing against swimmers who get to swim all year round.’
- ‘He did his people proud and he did New Zealand proud.’
- ‘I hope I continue to do you proud and I look forward to seeing you again.’’
- ‘We now have a squad to be proud of so lets hope they do us proud and lets become the best in the country again, then Europe.’
- ‘They are a young team and they came to Croke Park and did everyone proud, they certainly did me proud.’
- 1.1 Treat someone very well, typically by lavishly feeding or entertaining them.
- ‘Our chefs did us proud by clearly drawing out the peerless differences in the flavour of Pakistani cuisine.’
- ‘Our young actresses did us proud with a most entertaining production based on a wake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.