One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Perform as advertised or as one would expect judging by name or reputation.‘a big budget Hollywood film that does what it says on the tin’
- ‘As a tool, I don't think there's anything wrong with the wish list; it does what it says on the tin.’
- ‘If you want a straight-talking candidate that does exactly what it says on the tin, then vote for her.’
- ‘By its own admission, his third novel fails to do what it says on the tin.’
- ‘This blog has been reviewed by The Weblog Review, a site which does exactly what it says on the tin.’
- ‘It's instant messenger software—it does what it says on the tin.’
- ‘Failing to realise that an option marked 'delete' doesn't do what it says on the tin isn't stupidity; it's lack of familiarity.’
- ‘This film does exactly what it says on the tin: eight-legged freaks are what it promises to deliver, and eight-legged freaks are what come tumbling out of the crate.’
- ‘This book does exactly what it says on the tin: it is packed with gorgeous images of places that you really, really want to visit.’
- ‘A Brief History of Crime doesn't quite do what it says on the tin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.