One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A well-meaning but unrealistic or interfering philanthropist or reformer.
benefactor, benefactress, humanitarian, patron, patroness, donor, contributor, giver, sponsor, backer, helper, altruist, good samaritanView synonyms
- ‘What right have these do-gooders to deny the bulk of the population good quality chicken at a price they can afford.’
- ‘And in Alaska, the do-gooders fight bears with pepper spray.’
- ‘Keeping in line with the tradition of panto you can be sure the show will have its fair share of villains, do-gooders, idiots and of course the inevitable love matches.’
- ‘She loves her ‘team’ of fellow do-gooders, loves the challenge, the sense of accomplishment.’
- ‘But if so, why should council do-gooders interfere?’
- ‘What do these so called humanitarian do-gooders expect?’
- ‘What qualifies do-gooders to give economic advice?’
- ‘Thus, there was little a well-meaning band of foreign do-gooders could achieve by meddling.’
- ‘In conclusion, if the do-gooders want to do real good they should protest at pensioners being threatened with prison sentences for non-payment of council tax!’
- ‘The dewy-eyed do-gooders might be pleased to know that whoever wins government at the next election our detention centres will still be here.’
- ‘Much Ado About Nothing tells the tale of two relationships and the meddling do-gooders who muck them up.’
- ‘They don't want do-gooders coming along and deciding to give it to organisations that aren't run by consumers; they want to protect the money.’
- ‘Society became flooded with well-meaning do-gooders who bumbled about in the most hopeless manner.’
- ‘Politicians and middle-class do-gooders have interfered with the balance of a vulnerable sociological ecosystem.’
- ‘The main blame lies with the do-gooders who have interfered by saying you can't smack a child etc.’
- ‘Once again the police are fighting their battle against crime with one arm tied behind their backs; and once again it is the Government and its cronies of do-gooders who are doing the tying.’
- ‘Politicians or other misguided do-gooders won't be able to meddle.’
- ‘Is there any limit at all on how far do-gooders are willing to dumb down our educational system in the name of helping students feel good about themselves?’
- ‘America's distinctive do-gooders have been keeping the public safe by patrolling the streets and subways of the Big Apple for more than 25 years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.