One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large iron cooking pot used by campers or soldiers.
cooking utensil, container, receptacle, vesselView synonyms
- ‘It was either grass that was boiled up, or mangel wurzels and it was brought in with big dixies and had to be measured out.’
Early 20th century: from Hindi degcī ‘cooking pot’, from Persian degča, diminutive of deg ‘pot’.
An informal name for the southern states of the US.
Engage in unrealistic fantasies; waste one's time.‘until you nail that down, you're just whistling Dixie—you're in a real mess’
- ‘Republicans have good reason to whistle Dixie.’
- ‘Sharon rebuked him ever so slightly but is really whistling Dixie.’
- ‘Easton ain't just whistling Dixie either; she's been involved in this community as an active and family-minded member for several decades.’
- ‘Dean wasn't just whistling Dixie when he made his infamous remark about reaching out to bubbas bearing Confederate flags.’
- ‘They ain't whistling Dixie when they say they don't make them like they used to.’
- ‘The board is whistling Dixie as it thinks it can summon up a contesting bid higher than $4.17 without showing a very sharp rise in recurrent earnings.’
- ‘Nonetheless, linguists ain't just whistling Dixie when they say there are no linguistic limits to the number of coordinates.’
- ‘I'm inclined to believe that the Sheik is just whistling Dixie.’
- ‘If a garden doesn't drain, you're whistling Dixie.’
- ‘When those fish on your hook move their lips, they aren't just whistling Dixie, they're trying desperately to keep on breathing.’
Mid 19th century: origin uncertain. The phrase ‘Dixie's land’ is first recorded in the 1859 minstrel song ‘Jonny Roach’, typically attributed to the minstrel performer Daniel D. Emmett. Emmett also wrote and performed ‘I Wish I Was in Dixie’ later in the same year; this song, now known simply as ‘Dixie’, became enormously popular during the American Civil War and led to the association of the name with the American South.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.