Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for pointillism
- ‘The artistic movement known as divisionism was an Italian response to the impressionists and post-impressionists.’
- ‘The actual art-historical purpose of this show is to help Signac escape from the shadow of Georges Seurat, the master theorist of pointillism, or divisionism.’
- ‘It sounds more as if there is a construct of divisionism on both sides that needs addressing.’
- ‘Seurat's theory of optical mixtures, which he called divisionism, influenced Signac, and the style eventually became known as pointillism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.