Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to an organizational or administrative division.‘a divisional manager’
- ‘The divisional manager has indicated that work on this stretch of road will commence within the next three weeks.’
- ‘Even infected farms may be able to carry out some crop operations, however, with the permission of the divisional veterinary manager.’
- ‘Do your divisional managers know how much capital they tie up and what it costs?’
- ‘If sufficient entries are not forthcoming, divisional finals will not be held.’
- ‘Sheila gave us a presentation of her speech for the upcoming divisional final of the International Speech Competition.’
- ‘Farmers who want to employ someone to shear their sheep will have to seek permission from the Government's divisional veterinary manager.’
- ‘The programme is being co-ordinated through local community teams, led by a divisional highways manager and two highway engineers.’
- ‘The West Sligo junior championship divisional final will be decided on Bank Holiday Monday.’
- ‘The winner will proceed to the North West divisional final.’
- ‘While Abbeyside advance safely via the direct route towards the divisional final, all isn't lost for Dungarvan.’
- ‘The winner of the Bournemouth Open was the most successful Dorset player in last year's South West divisional finals at Burnham and Berrow.’
- ‘From there he was posted as an assistant divisional manager in a divisional office - his first posting in an operational office.’
- ‘The final divisional race, in Las Vegas, was a shootout between Kyle and me for the championship.’
- ‘Who said the divisional cup finals at Milebush were dreary affairs?’
- ‘That win puts them into the divisional final for the first time in more than a decade and a half and has given this whole championship one massive lift.’
- ‘For both, it was the first divisional final round, and for Smith, the first win.’
- ‘The winners go forward to the divisional finals in Arbroath on March 24, 25 and 26.’
- ‘The Neale team included the majority of the under 14 team that were narrowly defeated in this years divisional A final.’
- ‘In 1981, he set divisional managers the harsh target of being first or second in their business sector, or facing sale or closure.’
- ‘He suffered a broken collarbone playing in the North divisional SHC final last Sunday against Toomevara.’
2Forming a partition.‘divisional walls’
- ‘During the nearly four years it has taken to complete the guide, divisional walls have become windows.’
- ‘Passing from this main wall at right angles, were the divisional partitions of the rooms, 3 feet 0 inches in width.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.