One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sign ÷, placed between two numbers showing that the first is to be divided by the second, as in 6 ÷ 3 = 2.
- ‘In school you might have been taught to use an ‘X’ as the multiplication sign and the horizontal line with two dots as the division sign.’
- ‘Change the division sign to a multiplication sign.’
- ‘The division sign is never used in scientific formulas.’
- ‘Several people have written to tell me that the colon-like division sign is used in elementary education in their country.’
- ‘The division sign was in Rahn's time known either as the obelus or sometimes the obelisk, from a Greek word meaning a roasting spit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.