One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The assignment of different parts of a manufacturing process or task to different people in order to improve efficiency.
- ‘The scope for the division of labour and mutually profitable exchange steadily widened.’
- ‘People are appointed to different jobs within a division of labour.’
- ‘Smith famously used a pin factory to explain how specialised tasks under a division of labour massively increase productivity.’
- ‘No one is forced to join the specialized division of labor.’
- ‘He applies his theory to real questions of property, law, organization and the division of labor.’
- ‘But in doing so they cut themselves off from the efficiencies created by the division of labour.’
- ‘Modern society, based as it is on the division of labor, can be preserved only under conditions of lasting peace.’
- ‘He defended free trade as necessary to the division of labor.’
- ‘The division of labor will allow for efficient innovation of new products once the basic needs of the local economy are met.’
- ‘This is, in fact, a manifestation of the gains of trade and division of labor, and the growth of the market, and not vice versa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.