One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A watertight suit, typically with a helmet and an air supply, worn for working or exploring deep under water.
- ‘But, with the creation of the deep sea diving suit, man can go deeper than his predecessors.’
- ‘Navy officials say the crew may not have enough diving suits or the suits may be in flooded compartments.’
- ‘She said: ‘There was this man wearing a diving suit at the door and he asked to use the phone.’’
- ‘He donned a diving suit and went out into the cold water.’
- ‘Both don the heavy, cumbersome diving suits and have their huge helmet clamped on.’
- ‘Ivanova added that the best scuba diving suits are made of ostrich hide because of its high water resistance.’
- ‘A man in an antique diving suit completed the world's first underwater marathon last month.’
- ‘There were lots of different colored buttons and a closet, which held diving suits.’
- ‘I have known divers having to crack the ice on their diving suits and undersuits to get them flexible enough to put on.’
- ‘A small group of men were clustered around a two meter tall suit that looked like a cross between a diving suit and an ancient suit of armor.’
- ‘Dressed in a diving suit, he began the race at 9.45 am on Sunday.’
- ‘The couple wore diving suits adapted to look like real wedding outfits.’
- ‘He looked at another picture where they were on a boat and in diving suits.’
- ‘Hong Kong is not about to disappear beneath the waves just yet, so save your diving suits and goggles for another occasion.’
- ‘It feels like a diving suit, and this computer equipment seems to be poking through the material!’
- ‘Unit divers are equipped with both standard wet and dry diving suits.’
- ‘The two charioteers hid their diving suits and walked into Palermo, but were promptly arrested by the carabinieri.’
- ‘Full-dress diving suits were not used in shallow waters near coral because coral might pierce the air hose.’
- ‘Her crew had barely managed to escape through the bow hatch, wearing their diving suits.’
- ‘Those looking for a cheap, but fairly damp motor vehicle, can don their diving suits now.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.