One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
fortune teller, clairvoyant, crystal gazer, visionary, psychic, seer, soothsayer, prognosticator, prophesier, prophet, prophetess, oracle, sibyl, sage, wise man, wise womanView synonyms
- ‘A number of people are recognized as clairvoyants and diviners, working sometimes within and sometimes outside the Christian churches.’
- ‘When this happens, the help of a diviner or herbalist is sought.’
- ‘Every decision surrounding the production was made after Norbu carefully consulted with yogis, oracles and diviners.’
- ‘They ask soothsayers and diviners to find out the cause of problems and to suggest remedies.’
- ‘It was here in the 19th century that the famous Xhosa prophet and diviner Nxele attempted a resurrection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.