Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dual carriageway.
- ‘The route on which the task force moved was a major, six-lane, divided highway.’
- ‘Tonight, I came upon one intersection where a two-lane street crosses a four-lane divided highway with left-turn lanes on both sides.’
- ‘Ahead, the divided highway sped eastward in two directions, flanked by a ghostly procession of villas.’
- ‘Traffic thins on the divided highway as I approach the oncoming edge of the hurricane.’
- ‘My family and I were approaching a controlled intersection on a four-lane divided highway in a small city in Wisconsin when it happened.’
- ‘This is well in excess of the capacity of the four-lane divided highway that exists.’
- ‘No sooner did I complete that thought when I spotted two sets of police lights urgently threading their way through traffic on the other side of the divided highway.’
- ‘On April 10, two riders were on a divided highway with a posted speed limit of 50 kilometers per hour - that is about 31 mph.’
- ‘It's as though every driver had a private, divided highway to each destination.’
- ‘All sections were on divided highways with one-way width ranging from 3.75 m to 14.0 m.’
- ‘It used to be a divided highway and the old southbound lanes were taken out of service.’
- ‘The project consisted of adding a 12-ft. lane and a 14-ft. shoulder to the inside of each side of the four-lane divided highway.’
- ‘She was charged with going 138 kilometres an hour on the divided highway leading to Halifax.’
- ‘The Walker is located on the east edge of its site along Hennepin Avenue, a busy eight-lane divided highway.’
- ‘Upgrading an urban divided highway and its interchanges built nearly 40 years ago when traffic speeds and volumes were much lower is a challenge.’
- ‘All the sections selected were six-lane divided highways.’
- ‘The proposed road is being designed as a six-lane divided highway, with limited access every 1.5 km.’
- ‘Generally a freeway is a grade separated divided highway designed for high speeds.’
- ‘A divided highway ran along the cliffs bordering the beach.’
- ‘Snowmass Canyon's section of SH82 will have 3.7 mi. of new, four-lane, divided highway to replace the existing two-lane road.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.