One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A road with a dividing strip between the traffic in opposite directions and usually two or more lanes in each direction; a dual carriageway.
- ‘A divided highway ran along the cliffs bordering the beach.’
- ‘All sections were on divided highways with one-way width ranging from 3.75 m to 14.0 m.’
- ‘Upgrading an urban divided highway and its interchanges built nearly 40 years ago when traffic speeds and volumes were much lower is a challenge.’
- ‘No sooner did I complete that thought when I spotted two sets of police lights urgently threading their way through traffic on the other side of the divided highway.’
- ‘The Walker is located on the east edge of its site along Hennepin Avenue, a busy eight-lane divided highway.’
- ‘The proposed road is being designed as a six-lane divided highway, with limited access every 1.5 km.’
- ‘Snowmass Canyon's section of SH82 will have 3.7 mi. of new, four-lane, divided highway to replace the existing two-lane road.’
- ‘On April 10, two riders were on a divided highway with a posted speed limit of 50 kilometers per hour - that is about 31 mph.’
- ‘Generally a freeway is a grade separated divided highway designed for high speeds.’
- ‘Tonight, I came upon one intersection where a two-lane street crosses a four-lane divided highway with left-turn lanes on both sides.’
- ‘The route on which the task force moved was a major, six-lane, divided highway.’
- ‘All the sections selected were six-lane divided highways.’
- ‘The project consisted of adding a 12-ft. lane and a 14-ft. shoulder to the inside of each side of the four-lane divided highway.’
- ‘My family and I were approaching a controlled intersection on a four-lane divided highway in a small city in Wisconsin when it happened.’
- ‘It used to be a divided highway and the old southbound lanes were taken out of service.’
- ‘Traffic thins on the divided highway as I approach the oncoming edge of the hurricane.’
- ‘Ahead, the divided highway sped eastward in two directions, flanked by a ghostly procession of villas.’
- ‘This is well in excess of the capacity of the four-lane divided highway that exists.’
- ‘She was charged with going 138 kilometres an hour on the divided highway leading to Halifax.’
- ‘It's as though every driver had a private, divided highway to each destination.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.