Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dual carriageway.
- ‘She was charged with going 138 kilometres an hour on the divided highway leading to Halifax.’
- ‘No sooner did I complete that thought when I spotted two sets of police lights urgently threading their way through traffic on the other side of the divided highway.’
- ‘Generally a freeway is a grade separated divided highway designed for high speeds.’
- ‘Traffic thins on the divided highway as I approach the oncoming edge of the hurricane.’
- ‘It used to be a divided highway and the old southbound lanes were taken out of service.’
- ‘My family and I were approaching a controlled intersection on a four-lane divided highway in a small city in Wisconsin when it happened.’
- ‘The project consisted of adding a 12-ft. lane and a 14-ft. shoulder to the inside of each side of the four-lane divided highway.’
- ‘Ahead, the divided highway sped eastward in two directions, flanked by a ghostly procession of villas.’
- ‘The Walker is located on the east edge of its site along Hennepin Avenue, a busy eight-lane divided highway.’
- ‘The route on which the task force moved was a major, six-lane, divided highway.’
- ‘A divided highway ran along the cliffs bordering the beach.’
- ‘It's as though every driver had a private, divided highway to each destination.’
- ‘Tonight, I came upon one intersection where a two-lane street crosses a four-lane divided highway with left-turn lanes on both sides.’
- ‘All sections were on divided highways with one-way width ranging from 3.75 m to 14.0 m.’
- ‘Snowmass Canyon's section of SH82 will have 3.7 mi. of new, four-lane, divided highway to replace the existing two-lane road.’
- ‘All the sections selected were six-lane divided highways.’
- ‘Upgrading an urban divided highway and its interchanges built nearly 40 years ago when traffic speeds and volumes were much lower is a challenge.’
- ‘This is well in excess of the capacity of the four-lane divided highway that exists.’
- ‘On April 10, two riders were on a divided highway with a posted speed limit of 50 kilometers per hour - that is about 31 mph.’
- ‘The proposed road is being designed as a six-lane divided highway, with limited access every 1.5 km.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.