Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Inflammation of a diverticulum, especially in the colon, causing pain and disturbance of bowel function.Compare with diverticulosis
- ‘Indications for colectomy include colon polyps, diverticulitis, and IBD.’
- ‘Food sensitive colitis should be considered in infants and ischaemic colitis, diverticulitis, and colonic tumours in adults.’
- ‘Possible causes include inflammatory bowel disease or an infection in the colon known as diverticulitis.’
- ‘Fortunately, most people with diverticulosis never develop diverticulitis.’
- ‘A common complication of diverticulitis is peritonitis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.