Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A synthetic compound used as a reagent for the analysis and separation of lead and other metals.
- ‘The dithizone heavy metal reagent allows the detection of free heavy metal ions in bodily liquids like urine and saliva.’
- ‘The color resulting from the formation of the inner salt complex between dithizone and the lead cation is maintained,.’
- ‘The sensing material is composed of dithizone dissolved in a mixture of PVS in tetrahydrofuran and 2-nitrophenyl octyl ether.’
- ‘Soluble mercury contents in Baochi San, Xiaoer Zhibon Ding and Xiaoer Baishou Dan have been determined using dithizone method.’
- ‘Distilled water, tap water and a solution of lead nitrate are extracted with a hexane solution containing dithizone.’
1920s: from elements of the systematic name (see above).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.