Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in South Africa) a doctor appointed to serve a particular district.
- ‘She was examined by a district surgeon and has filed an assault charge against the police in Somerset West.’
- ‘‘My grandfather was a district surgeon,’ he began.’
- ‘The magistrate resisted and Lopes had to call for back-up to get him to the district surgeon for a blood test.’
- ‘The local district surgeon was summoned and both were certified dead at the scene.’
- ‘He had his blood drawn by a district surgeon and was detained at the Fleet Street Police Station before being released on R500 bail.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.