Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The supply of heat or hot water from one source to a district or a group of buildings.
- ‘The Sofia district heating company, Toplofikatsia Sofia, alone consumes 30 per cent of the natural gas sold on the local market.’
- ‘The government has provided state guarantees for two projects for district heating companies.’
- ‘The consequence has been that their forest industry and district heating plants are fully utilizing all available mill residues.’
- ‘A district heating scheme, using heat from the mini power-station centred on the incinerator, was always part of the plan.’
- ‘The enterprise is hoping to have some small district heating systems in place by the end of the year.’
- ‘Because of the commitments I had on district heating projects in Telford I did not have much time to deal with all the paperwork I needed to deal with.’
- ‘For a company like ABB, there was further potential arising from the privatisation of district heating.’
- ‘In Sweden a system known as district heating allows buildings to be heated from a central town boiler, usually fuelled from wood.’
- ‘Energy production is a visible element of the community, with vertical solar hot-water-heating panels feeding into a district heating grid.’
- ‘In Sweden, the district heating system, using one big boiler to heat a series of buildings instead of one in each building, is widely used.’
- ‘Pulp mills, district heating plants and power plants do not appreciate irregular fuel supply.’
- ‘This means removing the dust and sulphur dioxide from the emissions and using the heat efficiently through district heating schemes.’
- ‘Shares in district heating companies also changed hands, to mark the start of the privatisation of this segment of the Bulgarian energy sector.’
- ‘The prices set by the district heating companies would be regulated at a municipal level.’
- ‘It is also planned use the system to get rid of district heating in apartment blocks, so that non-payers can be cut off.’
- ‘Part of the coal was delivered to the Rousse district heating company.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.