Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An agent who supplies goods to retailers.‘a sports goods distributor’
dealer, merchant, buyer, seller, salesman, saleswoman, buyer and seller, marketeer, merchandiser, broker, agentView synonyms
- ‘Wholesale wine distributors fought the law change because they stand to lose the most.’
- ‘A low-profile company, Connect is the biggest independent distributor of electronic components in Europe.’
- ‘I'm negotiating to become the sole distributor of it in British Columbia.’
- ‘The company will appoint its distributors among the kerosene oil depot, at three per cent commission.’
- ‘Can a brand such as Northwest Airlines or Holiday Inn survive without a major third-party distributor?’
- ‘Aurora Corp is also major distributor of telecommunications products.’
- ‘Movies that can't find a distributor have a very difficult time getting seen.’
- ‘But there won't be any support from big North American distributor for these AMD chips.’
- ‘Only last month, Ferrari announced it was seeking an official distributor in the country.’
- ‘You are now ready to proceed as an independent herbalife distributor.’
- ‘The workshops will review market research techniques and the role of agents and distributors.’
- ‘The beer distributor has set up a keg of beer in the square.’
- ‘When you become an herbalife distributor, your appearance becomes part of your sales pitch.’
- ‘We were the largest independent beverage distributor in western Canada.’
- ‘Five years ago, General was the best book distributor in the country.’
- ‘Then he had to find a way to get it into his distributor's warehouse.’
- ‘But there is a reason that this film hasn't been able to find a U.S. distributor.’
- ‘I'd imagine there would be implications from such a move for other distributors in the country.’
- ‘The underlying value of sampling is that distributors sell what they are most comfortable selling.’
- ‘So what does this contradictory evidence mean to the promotional products distributor?’
2A device in a petrol engine for passing electric current to each spark plug in turn.
- ‘Many motorists cannot tell a drive belt from a distributor.’
- ‘The only cure was to get soaking wet while trying to dry out the distributor that generated the electricity that made the car go.’
- ‘Plates also covered the fuel pump opening and that of the distributor.’
- ‘Power generators and distributors are the havens of choice in uncertain times.’
- ‘This engine has a unique system: a pick-up coil in the distributor triggers the spark.’
- ‘The assembly is commonly mounted in the distributor or on the end of the crank or camshaft.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.