Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A signal from a ship or aircraft that is in danger.
- ‘It sends out a distress signal but few vessels have the ability to read this information.’
- ‘When an armor's owner is killed, it sends out a short distress signal.’
- ‘The warships had received the distress signal from their scout ships the moment the Large Human warship had arrived.’
- ‘Here's the problem: The Mini-Con robots, the Transformers' long-lost third race, has sent a distress signal from Earth.’
- ‘After receiving a distress signal from a distant mining colony, the Nightingale dimension jumps and comes to the rescue of a lone survivor.’
- ‘I began sending out a distress signal to the CRI.’
- ‘The distress signal you send up when you find yourself separated from the cover boat may look impressive from your viewpoint at wave level.’
- ‘Send a distress signal to the Green Pastures MSS, and start monitoring broadcasts from that ship below us.’
- ‘At the same time, Petross sent out a distress signal.’
- ‘We don't know why this ship was sending a distress signal.’
- ‘He used the keyboard in the wall to send out an emergency distress signal to all ILPM ships.’
- ‘Feeling hopeless, Young was just about to head toward the latest distress signal when a red light flickered on his HUD.’
- ‘‘Peggy, Peggy,’ she calls out, like a great distress signal.’
- ‘I've managed to rebuild everything, but as I got the ship up and running it sent out the distress signal.’
- ‘An orbiting satellite picked up a distress signal from the ship's emergency beacon, standard equipment on all modern boats.’
- ‘The ferry had sent out a distress signal after a blaze started between two engines and the funnel on Friday night.’
- ‘If I screw up, I want you to send a distress signal and evacuate this ship.’
- ‘First, authorities will not only receive your distress signal, but they should receive your exact GPS coordinates.’
- ‘The distress signal was rigged to a hyperspace relay, so they know the colony is, or rather was, under attack.’
- ‘He had sent out a distress signal not that long ago, but he had yet to see anyone from the GRC.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.