One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rocket fired as a distress signal.
- ‘After the collision Boxall helped to fire the distress rockets and to signal the nearby ship with a Morse code lamp.’
- ‘The Para Red distress rocket is designed specifically for long-range distress signalling.’
- ‘Had this ship not been there, Captain Lord would have recognized the rockets as distress rockets.’
- ‘But just over an hour after the distress rockets were fired, the Iolaire broke her back, slipped off the rocks and sank.’
- ‘Rockets are seen later, but they appear low, make no sound, and do not seem to be distress rockets.’
- ‘Just over an hour after the distress rockets were fired the yacht broke her back, slipped off the rocks and sank.’
- ‘The hiss of distress rockets being fired way up into the darkness overhead amused the children as their parents were trying to get them aboard lifeboats.’
- ‘Why did the California, whose bridge officers saw the distress rockets, not respond?’
- ‘All tended to make those distress rockets that were sent up from the sinking ship look so small, so dull and futile.’
- ‘Parachute distress rockets are designed to indicate a distress situation where line of sight is impaired.’
- ‘Al is off ranting about how they celebrated July 4th on the tour by setting off a distress rocket in the rear compartment of their band bus.’
- ‘Oh, and we will set off a distress rocket, just the one, so tell the coastguard and all shipping within a few miles to just ignore it.’
- ‘Pottstown's skipper sent up distress rockets and signaled the Sandwich Coast Guard.’
- ‘It was really useful to have pictures of the Spaceship interior and the distress rocket to use.’
- ‘There was confusion and difficulty in finding the distress rockets when the Shackleton was in the area of the trawler.’
- ‘In addition you will be provided with a survival kit containing aluminium survival sheet, distress rocket, salt tablets and luminous signal stick.’
- ‘Early in the morning of 25 March the men on Seneca heard a loud explosion within their convoy, and shortly afterwards saw distress rockets in the air.’
- ‘The Titanic fired distress rockets and attempted to signal by electric lamp and Morse code to this vessel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.