Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Dissimilarity or diversity.
dissimilarity, contrast, distinction, distinctness, differentiationView synonyms
- ‘The dissimilitude is so striking, that the utmost you can here pretend to is a guess, a conjecture, a presumption concerning a similar cause; and how that pretension will be received in the world, I leave you to consider.’
- ‘Apart from the matter of a wide dissimilitude of pieties, the task was complicated by somewhat different understandings of the role of hymns in worship.’
- ‘‘The dissimilitude between the terms ‘civil marriage’ and ‘civil union’ is not innocuous: it is a considered choice of language that reflects a demonstrable assigning of same-sex, largely homosexual couples to second-class status.’
- ‘We shall need to learn how to appreciate anew that ‘manifold and yet harmonious dissimilitude’ that characterizes the people of God on earth.’
- ‘Resemblance among objects of the same kind, and dissimilitude among objects of different kinds, are too obvious and familiar to gratify our curiosity in any degree:’
- ‘The major dissimilitude in this description is between highly conventional notions of essential masculine and feminine attributes.’
- ‘The worlds which we see - with all their properties of immensity, resemblance, and dissimilitude - result from the endless multiplicity of falling atoms.’
- ‘Now there is a compelling formulation of the principle of Anglican comprehensiveness - ‘manifold and yet harmonious dissimilitude’!’
Late Middle English: from Latin dissimilitudo, from dissimilis unlike, from dis- (expressing reversal) + similis like, similar.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.