One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Discourse on a particular subject.‘we have dissertated on the church at Antioch’
hold forth about, speak at length about, write at length about, pontificate about, discourse on, expound, go into detail about, go on about, dwell onView synonyms
- ‘On the strength of nostalgia I wonder if I dare dissertate about the days of outdoor toilets.’
- ‘Let me suppose, for example, that some modern 'Hobbes,' in dissertating on society at large, should malign mankind.’
- ‘Don Juan, attracted by the gypsy dancer Fifine, dissertates to Elvire on the nature of his feelings.’
- ‘She follows him from room to room if he tries to elude her, dissertating on the weakness of his character and the depravity of his mind.’
- ‘In a letter to Dan in 1800, after scolding him for his 'Budget being empty far too soon', she dissertated on the life of Catherine the Great.’
- 1.1 Write a dissertation.‘he was working incredibly long hours and I was dissertating’‘at Stanford, she dissertated on selfhood and storytelling’
- ‘I cannot connect to the Internet there, and the books where I sit are damn boring, so there's nothing to do but dissertate.’
- ‘I should send out a couple of "real" academic articles dealing with the stuff I actually dissertated on.’
- ‘I never got to ask what you'll be dissertating on.’
- ‘We have been protesting, rallying and mobilising, but we've also been distracted by the more mundane activities of teaching, dissertating, and drinking.’
- ‘While my advisors have been careful to make sure I am not getting too involved with my subject, the topic has proved so fascinating that I have rarely had time to ponder the darker side of dissertating.’
- ‘My major field is History of Science, and I plan to dissertate on the development of the development of Quantum Mechanics.’
- ‘He dissertated on rhetoric in American colleges and made a great splash among compositionists with Themes, Theories, and Therapy.’
- ‘I'd love to be able to say I was dissertating, but somehow a 12,000 word undergrad thesis isn't quite the same.’
- ‘I'm working two jobs (and, in theory, researching a paper for next year); he's dissertating (and working one job, part-time).’
- ‘He is dissertating in the sciences.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin dissertat-, from dissertare ‘to continue to discuss’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.