Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove feathers from (a bird).
remove the feathers from, strip of feathersView synonyms
- ‘The storm displumes my wings.’
- ‘The Austrian eagle was only to escape from one enemy, to be displumed by another.’
- ‘The story is that the jackdaw was very quietly displumed.’
- ‘The Owl will hoot that cannot sing, Spite will displume the muse's wing.’
- ‘The process of displuming the birds is simple enough.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.