Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pump in which liquid is moved out of the pump chamber by a moving surface or by the introduction of compressed air or gas.
- ‘The clearances in these positive displacement pumps are close; they wear quickly when abrasives are pumped.’
- ‘The company's positive displacement pumps have been designed to minimize shear, which may cause product damage and thus reduced product quality.’
- ‘Both models offer energy efficiency, low noise levels, high accuracy, and repeatability thanks to an electronically regulated variable displacement pump.’
- ‘‘A variable displacement pump gives you a very good feel for the machine,’ says Lao.’
- ‘Joule, son of a brewer, invented electric welding and the displacement pump and worked with Lord Kelvin to create more accurate thermometers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.