Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An animal or human activity that seems inappropriate, such as head-scratching when confused, considered to arise unconsciously when a conflict between antagonistic urges cannot be resolved.
- ‘I can understand why they dress well - it must be a form of displacement activity.’
- ‘When it happened, it was almost a displacement activity.’
- ‘Yet the whole affair was a displacement activity: an exercise in self-deception.’
- ‘Reading, extended looking for help, and commiserating can all be seen, after 3 years, as further displacement activities, helping you avoid ending your grieving, and putting away your past relationship.’
- ‘What choice did I have but to find some displacement activity?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.