One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A liquid or gas used to disperse small particles in a medium.
- ‘Improvements in lubricants such as ashless dispersant oils, spark plugs and use of oil filters have also been vital to predicting longer periods between engine overhaul.’
- ‘Once the correct dispersant was received, it was sprayed onto the rocks which were then washed with high pressure water using the fire brigade's portable pump which was carried around the rocks.’
- ‘Some of these materials can be removed by filtration or by using dispersants, which allow for the materials to coagulate and be trapped by the filters or removed during blowdowns.’
- ‘Instead, we put the nanopowder in water and add dispersant to keep the fine particles evenly suspended and in close contact.’
- ‘Bikes should be thoroughly cleaned to remove residue of dirt/salt and then the metal and moving parts sprayed with water dispersant / lubricant - but be careful to avoid any contact with brake systems/tyres.’
- ‘The present invention also relates to the use of these compositions such as thickeners, dispersants, plastics additives, adhesives, coatings, flexographic inks, overprint varnishes, and dry cement powder modifiers.’
- ‘Yesterday, 10 litres of dispersant, approved by the Department of Environmental Affairs, was used to remove the last remaining oil in the engine room.’
- ‘Oil dispersants were applied only as a test because there were too many unknowns about their effect on the environment.’
- ‘The latest addition of equipment will include 500 metres of containment boom, 200 metres of sorbent boom, 1,000 sorbent pads and 3,000 litres of oil dispersant.’
- ‘In that case, you need a superior dispersant detergent.’
- ‘Some scientists now believe that there was more long-term biological damage from the chemical dispersants than would have resulted from leaving the oil untreated.’
- ‘Further, Mr Knowles knew nothing of the idea of powdered ingredients or particles acting as dispersants in the dry state from his long experience in the agrochemical industry.’
- ‘Although modern marbling techniques employ acrylic paints thinned with specialized dispersants and floated on specially prepared water, the technique is relatively simple.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.