Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounChristian Theology
Belief in a system of historical progression, as revealed in the Bible, consisting of a series of stages in God's self-revelation and plan of salvation.
- ‘The author has pronounced traditional dispensationalism dead.’
- ‘Darby is credited with bringing premillennial dispensationalism to the United States.’
- ‘Literal readings of the Bible predispose fundamentalists to adopt a theology that stresses premillennial dispensationalism, which means they believe in the Second Coming of Jesus as prophesied in the Bible.’
- ‘Fundamentalists reject a larger portion of secular society, maintain strong commitments to strict literalism, premillenial dispensationalism, and moral traditionalism.’
- ‘Not only had he retained his evangelical convictions, but made steady progress during those years - rejecting the Scofield Bible's dispensationalism and becoming convinced of the eternal security of the believer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.