One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person whose job is to receive messages and organize the movement of people or vehicles, especially in the emergency services.‘he told the dispatcher that his wife wasn't breathing’‘a cab driver responded to a call from his dispatcher’with modifier ‘emergency police dispatchers received a call from the building at 8.45 am’
- ‘If they don't get you or you are in need of assistance, they call a 911 dispatcher.’
- ‘A taxi dispatcher requires the precise location of cabs to determine which is the closest to a pickup.’
- ‘The Hoover Police Department has hired several Spanish-speaking dispatchers for its emergency response team.’
- ‘Within a couple of minutes the police dispatcher advised the officer over the radio to proceed to the Georgian Mall.’
- ‘He made a phone call which our emergency communications dispatcher had recorded.’
- ‘At the beginning of a fire, dispatchers are generally sent instructions and requests by phone or radio.’
- ‘She spent several years as a dispatcher for the Pender County, N.C., sheriff's office and a year as a clerk of the county court.’
- ‘Mrs. Henderson was on the phone with the police, trying to get past the dispatcher.’
- ‘The police communications log records his radio contact with the dispatcher at 16:01.’
- ‘Deena dialled the police number, 911, and dispatchers put her through to the FBI.’
- 1.1 A person who sends something to a destination.
- ‘Dispatchers and dock workers can identify regional shipments in the system and keep them on schedule.’
- ‘A job scheduler and a dispatcher handle periodic jobs, whereas reactive jobs change state themselves for performance reasons.’
- ‘The jobs will be created by May 1 and offer opportunities for supervisors, customer service agents and dispatchers.’
- ‘Buck, along with other dogs, was purchased by Francois and Perrault, dispatchers for the Canadian government, and transported by ship to Alaska.’
- ‘I was working full-time as a dispatcher for a realty company, midnight to 9 in the morning.’
- ‘I was the first dispatcher in my delivery business, and I always thought I was the best dispatcher we ever had.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.