One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘At present the day was drizzling and chilly, while the huge volumes of smoke from a whole forest of factory chimneys tended to impart a deeper shade of dismalness to the dispiriting landscape.’
- ‘To wait fruitfully is not to dream away the now, to brood about its dismalness, to protest its unacceptability, all the hallmarks of being bored.’
- ‘When confronted with an empty tomb in our lives, do we look at the hopefulness of the situation or do we look at the dismalness of the situation?’
- ‘Before that persistent low-spirit sensation totally takes over, here are a few ideas to put up a barricade against the dismalness.’
- ‘Its dismalness is largely a delusion, due to the fact that its chief ornaments, at least in our own day, are university professors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.