One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reduction in the use of intermediaries between producers and consumers, for example by investing directly in the securities market rather than through a bank.
- ‘Yes, okay, there's disintermediation; there's re-intermediation.’
- ‘First, we are in the midst of a major disintermediation out of low-yielding money market funds.’
- ‘In particular is the talk of disintermediation - where a firm removes partners from their value chain to trade directly with their customers.’
- ‘When music is stored and sold as a computer file, disintermediation occurs (the cutting out of middle layers of distribution channels).’
- ‘In the 1990s, the Internet was largely about disintermediation.’
- ‘We remain in the heart of a major disintermediation out of low-yielding money fund deposits and into securities.’
- ‘The foundation of disintermediation is the ability of the consumer to go directly to the producer of a product or service.’
- ‘Spread management became a problem and disintermediation threatened the viability of some thrifts.’
- ‘I think what drove the Internet era was things like disintermediation and changing the business model.’
- ‘The ensuing disintermediation subsequently proved an important impediment to the economy's recovery.’
- ‘For the current dominant content producers, the real threat from the Internet is probably less from piracy, and more from disintermediation.’
- ‘We are supposed to be living in an age of disintermediation, but the way it's generally being carried out, I don't think we're reaping any benefits from it.’
- ‘It's only a matter of time before such disintermediation will be a significant factor in the financial services industry.’
- ‘Along with financial disintermediation, investment relative to GDP declined over time.’
- ‘Finally, e-commerce is generating a top-to-bottom restructuring of established marketplaces through disintermediation of many players.’
- ‘Some will, but disintermediation is overblown.’
- ‘Barry has updated the issue yet again to discuss the real threat to the music industry - disintermediation.’
- ‘But with the disintermediation of middlemen for money and products, who needs the middlemen of politics?’
- ‘But it was also to avoid the bank disintermediation associated with a stock market boom.’
- ‘Pundits often talk of Internet disintermediation - basically manufacturers bypassing distribution to sell direct to customers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.