One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reduction in the use of intermediaries between producers and consumers, for example by investing directly in the securities market rather than through a bank.
- ‘Finally, e-commerce is generating a top-to-bottom restructuring of established marketplaces through disintermediation of many players.’
- ‘We remain in the heart of a major disintermediation out of low-yielding money fund deposits and into securities.’
- ‘When music is stored and sold as a computer file, disintermediation occurs (the cutting out of middle layers of distribution channels).’
- ‘The foundation of disintermediation is the ability of the consumer to go directly to the producer of a product or service.’
- ‘Barry has updated the issue yet again to discuss the real threat to the music industry - disintermediation.’
- ‘Some will, but disintermediation is overblown.’
- ‘In the 1990s, the Internet was largely about disintermediation.’
- ‘We are supposed to be living in an age of disintermediation, but the way it's generally being carried out, I don't think we're reaping any benefits from it.’
- ‘Along with financial disintermediation, investment relative to GDP declined over time.’
- ‘In particular is the talk of disintermediation - where a firm removes partners from their value chain to trade directly with their customers.’
- ‘But with the disintermediation of middlemen for money and products, who needs the middlemen of politics?’
- ‘The ensuing disintermediation subsequently proved an important impediment to the economy's recovery.’
- ‘Pundits often talk of Internet disintermediation - basically manufacturers bypassing distribution to sell direct to customers.’
- ‘Yes, okay, there's disintermediation; there's re-intermediation.’
- ‘For the current dominant content producers, the real threat from the Internet is probably less from piracy, and more from disintermediation.’
- ‘But it was also to avoid the bank disintermediation associated with a stock market boom.’
- ‘Spread management became a problem and disintermediation threatened the viability of some thrifts.’
- ‘It's only a matter of time before such disintermediation will be a significant factor in the financial services industry.’
- ‘First, we are in the midst of a major disintermediation out of low-yielding money market funds.’
- ‘I think what drove the Internet era was things like disintermediation and changing the business model.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.