Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Arousing revulsion or strong indignation.‘he had the most disgusting rotten teeth’‘I think the decision is disgusting’
revolting, repellent, repulsive, sickening, nauseating, nauseous, stomach-churning, stomach-turning, off-putting, unpalatable, unappetizing, uninviting, unsavoury, distasteful, foul, nasty, obnoxious, odiousoffensive, appalling, outrageous, objectionable, displeasing, shocking, horrifying, scandalous, monstrous, unspeakable, shameless, shameful, vulgar, gross, vile, wicked, odious, heinous, abhorrent, loathsome, obnoxious, detestable, hateful, sickening, contemptible, despicable, deplorable, abominable, execrableView synonyms
- ‘We wish to object to the disgusting sight we have to put up with whenever we look out of our window.’
- ‘Lee said showing the 1962 war epic was a disgusting and offensive way to mark the emotional trip.’
- ‘We hope the public will help us to stop this disgusting practice.’
- ‘I am appealing to their sense of decency to stop this disgusting greed.’
- ‘They were both in a disgusting state the last time I walked that way.’
- ‘Imagine, if you can, sharing a small room and lavatory with someone with disgusting personal habits.’
- ‘It may yet take a national inquiry to establish the full extent of this disgusting phenomenon.’
- ‘Go into a movie and instead of smelling your partners nice perfume you smell the disgusting smells of cigarettes!’
- ‘In two of three houses the suspect has raided he has left behind his own disgusting signature by using the properties as a toilet.’
- ‘This disgusting man will only serve four years and then be free to inflict pain and suffering on other women.’
- ‘There was something frankly disgusting about the wealth and splendour on display.’
- ‘But why should others have to suffer the disgusting smell and the possible health risks?’
- ‘Why do some people make such a damnably disgusting munching sound when they eat that can be heard miles away?’
- ‘It was, without exception, one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen.’
- ‘It's a disgusting habit that really mystifies and intrigues me at the same time.’
- ‘I hope you will stick with this inquiry and expose their disgusting operations.’
- ‘From time to time, I am simply floored by a disgusting newspaper article.’
- ‘Alexia looked at me like I had just said the most vile and disgusting thing about her.’
- ‘Tourists will continue to shun the disgusting stock of hotels that are being constructed.’
- ‘This is the disgusting context in which tomorrow's debate must be set.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.