One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- old-fashioned term for disgusting
- ‘We frequently meet with many that are not only vicious, but disgustful, and have nothing of that by which Cicero is desirous they should be distinguished.’
- ‘These proceedings of theirs, the difficulty of access to them on office-business, and a supercilious behavior, rendered them disgustful to people in general, who in consequence thereof treated them with neglect.’
- ‘But she did see that her parents treated her differently from her brothers, and she did notice the disgustful looks of those who had been in charge of her care.’
- ‘As hunger is appeased by eating (derivation of pleasure) still excessive eating may cause obesity to disgustful feeling or even aversion towards food (indication of pain), which again is a form of instinctive pain followed by the instinctive pleasure.’
- ‘For if these things when happening in the body are disgustful, much more when in the soul.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.