One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loss or lack of equilibrium or stability, especially in relation to supply, demand, and prices.
- ‘If you pick up any elementary text, if the market is in disequilibrium, the reflex reaction is that when demand is in excess, prices will rise and that will eliminate the excess demand.’
- ‘On the contrary, the maintenance of the strong dollar policy fostered a new set of disequilibria.’
- ‘In both economies and markets, instability and disequilibrium are normal; stability and equilibrium are not.’
- ‘In contrast to equilibrium theories, disequilibrium theories suggest that income differences among regions are likely to persist and even widen over time.’
- ‘Financial flow imbalances, if allowed to persist, lead to stock disequilibria on balance sheets.’
- ‘For that purpose, the balance sheet approach seemed preferable, if not ideal, because balance sheet relationships hold even in disequilibrium.’
- ‘But one thing can be said with certainty: the longer the world economy continues on the present path, the greater will be the underlying disequilibrium and the possibility of a major financial crisis.’
- ‘His focus was on systemic price stability, recognizing that cumulative processes would move an economy into a precarious state of disequilibria if market rates were held artificially low over an extended period.’
- ‘The origins of this disequilibrium are to be found in economic processes going back more than a decade.’
- ‘But the repudiation of a dollar devaluation policy was subsequently pushed to an opposite extreme, thereby fostering a new set of disequilibria.’
- ‘However, when markets become essentially speculative, they drive prices toward severe disequilibria.’
- ‘Any disequilibrium or economic crisis that occurs is the result of constraints imposed on the market from outside.’
- ‘Unfortunately, there is no price-adjustment interpretation of the disequilibrium prices along the homotopy path.’
- ‘They can obtain resources to finance cyclical downturns and balance-of-payments disequilibria, thus allowing them to smooth out consumption.’
- ‘A temporarily high price also serves the function of signaling other entrepreneurs and capitalists about market disequilibria.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.