One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A function of several variates used to assign items into one of two or more groups. The function for a particular set of items is obtained from measurements of the variates of items which belong to a known group.
- ‘These lineages were characterized by means of a discriminant function separating the putative ancestral sample from the youngest sample of one of the species.’
- ‘The second discriminant function differentiated the HU group from the other two groups.’
- ‘The discriminant function was deemed significant at the 0.01 level.’
- ‘Of 97 students who did not meet state benchmark standards, the discriminant function accurately predicted 88 cases.’
- ‘The discriminant function that separates the two groups best is statistically significant at the 5% level.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.