One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Income remaining after deduction of taxes, social security charges, and basic living costs.Compare with disposable income
- ‘The more the state spends and taxes the less discretionary income citizens have in take-home pay (or what remains after deductions for tax and national insurance).’
- ‘Alternatively, individuals at greater risk might select a more comprehensive plan and supplement the voucher's value with other discretionary income.’
- ‘Fear of unemployment, falling tourism numbers, the impact on disposable, discretionary income of stealth taxes have all taken their toll, as has a squeeze on pay in the private sector.’
- ‘As they enter their retirement years healthier and wealthier than previous generations, Boomers will have more discretionary income for travel and entertainment.’
- ‘The problem is especially acute at low levels of income, where savings and discretionary income are very limited.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.