Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a product) no longer available or produced.‘discontinued fabrics’
- ‘Plus, the Odor Eater underlay range was being discontinued, and we got it at £ 4.99 per square meter.’
- ‘They were not as hygienic as the metal ones and were eventually discontinued.’
- ‘This article was first authored in 2004, and while I did update it a few times, the list of discontinued products seems to be growing.’
- ‘The difficulty lies in knowing why a line was discontinued.’
- ‘It was used as a memory system under two different product names for a few months before its production was discontinued.’
- ‘The production of Kodachrome 40, better known as Super 8 film, is being discontinued.’
- ‘The single rubella vaccine is being discontinued by the only manufacturer producing it in this country.’
- ‘The experiment and the books were discontinued after a year or so.’
- ‘What a shame I picked it out of the discontinued item bin at Waitrose.’
- ‘Personally, I'm enjoying buying the discontinued games en masse.’
- ‘The board said that patients were administered out-of-date and discontinued drugs.’
- ‘Older, discontinued examples of American made pistols are sometimes hard to find parts for.’
- ‘This type of multi-dose presentation has been discontinued for all licensed plasma derivative products.’
- ‘The saw was discontinued in the 1950s and is no longer serviced.’
- ‘Pyrazolon derivatives have been used in the past but were discontinued because of severe adverse effects.’
- ‘Publication was discontinued in September 1917 by decision of the Central Committee.’
- ‘New and discontinued items are available on the web site.’
- ‘In addition, sellers will be able to quickly move overstocks and discontinued products.’
- ‘However, since August of this year it was discontinued without reason or explanation.’
- ‘At the request of regularly contributing artists, the Artist's Chronicle was discontinued in 1983 in favor of a reviews section.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.