Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Showing a controlled form of behaviour or way of working.‘a disciplined approach to management’
well mannered, polite, civil, courteous, respectful, deferential, obedient, gentlemanly, chivalrous, gallant, ladylike, genteel, cultivated, gracious, obliging, considerate, thoughtful, urbane, civilized, well spoken, formal, proper, decorous, refined, polished, well brought upView synonyms
- ‘The most significant among them are the ambience and the disciplined manner in which the festival is conducted.’
- ‘He said the company takes a very disciplined approach when contemplating entering a market where the culture is different.’
- ‘It requires just a bit of creative imagination and disciplined thought.’
- ‘The pacy, busy, vibrant winger has been replaced by a more thoughtful, more disciplined player.’
- ‘It's a disciplined approach to creating websites which involves a great deal of discussion about objectives.’
- ‘A wisp of auburn hair fell across her forehead, challenging the control of her disciplined features.’
- ‘I replied that as a disciplined civil servant I had no option but to accept the post.’
- ‘As they become proficient in handling their bikes they are subtly introduced to the need for disciplined behaviour on the road.’
- ‘It is important that both parties have the ability to remain calm and work in a composed disciplined manner.’
- ‘But it will be a tight, disciplined budget with spending under disciplined control.’
- ‘His was a textbook performance of disciplined self control and he did what was asked for team and country.’
- ‘The survey also shows it is companies with successful plans that are more likely to have a disciplined approach to managing and monitoring their plan.’
- ‘The House of Commons is organized along adversarial lines, its proceedings normally controlled by a disciplined party majority.’
- ‘Two highly disciplined and law-abiding populations meekly submitted to defeat.’
- ‘We're taking a little more disciplined approach toward training in golf than might have been done in the past.’
- ‘There were five teams of prison warders, all of them in full uniform, and waiting in a disciplined manner for the event to start.’
- ‘Intervention has taken place in an unusually disciplined and performance-based manner.’
- ‘If we do not take a disciplined approach these accidents will continue to happen.’
- ‘A successful yogi is expected to achieve mental control by way of various types of disciplined movement and breathing.’
- ‘It is an example of the disciplined financial controls which have built up the funds the country needs for public works and poverty relief.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.