Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Able to be discerned; perceptible.‘the scandal had no discernible effect on his career’‘the inscription was barely discernible’
visible, detectable, noticeable, perceptible, observable, perceivable, distinguishable, recognizable, identifiableapparent, obvious, clear, manifest, conspicuous, patent, plain, evident, distinct, appreciableView synonyms
- ‘The balance of evidence suggests a discernible human influence on global climate.’
- ‘None of the characters undergo any kind of discernible transformation during their week in the desert.’
- ‘Nor are there any evident truths discernible without regard to our historical context.’
- ‘The carrot's flavour was discernible, but quite distinct from that in a savoury dish.’
- ‘There was an almost discernible sigh of relief over evidence of resilience in house prices.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.