One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Flat, thin, and circular like a disc.
round, disc-likeView synonyms
- ‘Scientists had long assumed that the bat manages to hold on to the leaf by using four disk-shaped structures - one on each wrist and ankle - as suction cups.’
- ‘These unusual, disc-shaped formations, which look uncannily like flying saucers, are formed during windy, muggy weather conditions and usually appear near mountains.’
- ‘The shapes of these adsorbed liposomes do not appear spherical, but rather disk-shaped.’
- ‘That same day, Wright Field admitted it was checking stories of disk-shaped missiles seen recently in the Pacific northwest and in Texas.’
- ‘The grains are generally disc-shaped and clear to light brown in colour.’
- ‘The disc-shaped red blood cells contain hemoglobin, a unique molecule that carries oxygen to the body's tissues.’
- ‘About seven disk-shaped snails were seen in the pool.’
- ‘None of the armed forces is conducting secret experiments with disk-shaped flying objects that could be a basis for the reported phenomena.’
- ‘Many reports in this latest file describe aircraft as big, black and triangular in shape with lights along the edges, whereas the predominant form in the 1940 s to 1950 s was saucer or disc-shaped.’
- ‘Sickle cell anaemia is an inherited disease in which the red blood cells, normally disc-shaped, become crescent-shaped.’
- ‘The second miniature shows a couple embracing, seated on a stone bench in front of a starry sky with a disc-shaped moon.’
- ‘Visitors enter a large disc-shaped air-conditioned cabin with a single row of seats all-around.’
- ‘Large, lumpy disc-shaped fossils were also found to be abundant.’
- ‘The UFO was disc-shaped and had a bright spot in its center.’
- ‘To their shock, a large, glowing, golden-orange, disk-shaped object, with a large halo of white around the craft, rose up in the distance and stopped and hovered.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.