Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Feeling or expressing disbelief.‘the disbelieving look in her eyes’
- ‘Somehow he must convince a disbelieving world that the nightmare has already begun.’
- ‘Only on this occasion, the disbelieving doctor called the police.’
- ‘Janet's expression softened as she regarded her disbelieving companion.’
- ‘She stiffened slightly when she heard her father's disbelieving snort.’
- ‘The next day, he shows the letter to his disbelieving doctor.’
- ‘I could tell from their disbelieving faces that they couldn't believe how generous I was.’
- ‘I played back the message for my disbelieving friends.’
- ‘Brice let out a high, disbelieving laugh.’
- ‘All the same, it was good to see Kev finally faced with disbelieving opposition.’
- ‘Indeed, if he dismisses it with a disbelieving laugh, we expect to see the bad luck drop on him out of the blue.’
- ‘The soldier is looking very disbelieving; he is barking again.’
- ‘I have the manic, disbelieving smile of a winning game-show contestant.’
- ‘Jennifer offered a brief narrative but received a disbelieving glance.’
- ‘A late night call conveyed the good news to a disbelieving Carmel who proved a very popular winner.’
- ‘An hour later a delirious and disbelieving Beryl rang again.’
- ‘They wanted a holiday snap to show disbelieving folks back home what looked almost like the parting of the waters by Moses.’
- ‘Mom and Dad gasped and stared at me with disbelieving eyes.’
- ‘The handful of coaches, scouts and parents were stunned into disbelieving silence before breaking into thunderous applause.’
- ‘Elizabeth interjected, giving her mother a disbelieving stare.’
- ‘Bert was stunned as the surreal scene continued to unfold in front of his bleary, disbelieving eyes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.