Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Take (something) to pieces.‘the piston can be disassembled for transport’
dismantle, take apart, take to pieces, pull apart, pull to pieces, pull to bits, take to bits, deconstruct, break up, strip downView synonyms
- ‘He took his laser pencils and disassembled the camera's innards.’
- ‘While disassembling the strut, the three noticed that the strut finger lock assembly resembled the metal found imbedded in the tire earlier.’
- ‘Back at Vickers, technicians went to work disassembling the plane, replacing engine and prop, while repairing the rest of the damage.’
- ‘Instead of shooting, he released the clip, pulled back the weapon's slide, and disassembled the entire gun.’
- ‘Keyan detached his mechanical hand and disassembled it for cleaning, a disturbing sight for the others, but perfectly routine for him.’
- ‘He said disassembling it for transport to an airport and then flying it across the sprawling country would have taken longer than it took for the British vessel to arrive.’
- ‘The control arms have been in the car since 1997, and though I've looked at them from time to time, I'd never disassembled them to inspect the polyurethane bushings.’
- ‘The first powered aircraft was disassembled and stored in a shed behind the brothers' bicycle shop in Dayton, Ohio.’
- ‘We'll disassemble the bike, pull all the parts in a sled on the glacier, then dump them in a backpack and carry it to the summit.’
- ‘She disassembled a rifle efficiently, examining the pieces critically then put it back together.’
- ‘An individual in Canada disassembled the plane for transport up north but this never happened.’
- ‘He disassembled the phone with meticulous care, then scattered the pieces with his foot.’
- ‘The segmented motors are disassembled, and the cylindrical cases are cleaned, reinsulated, and refilled with propellant.’
- ‘McManus devoted 512 hours alone disassembling the tractor to prepare it for restoration.’
- ‘In some cases, where there is extensive wear on the original bucket walls, this Caterpillar dealer might even disassemble the old bucket and weld in new steel-plate bucket walls.’
- ‘For these works, Cameron disassembles jigsaw puzzles and paints the constituent pieces according to the proportions of the color schemes of corporate logos.’
- ‘I knew that even if you disassemble the machine into millions of small and tiny pieces and you examined each and every one of those parts, it would still not resolve the problem.’
- ‘The strike erupted when management closed down one of the factory's three production lines and attempted to disassemble machinery for removal.’
- ‘They insisted on disassembling a camera that cannot be taken apart.’
- ‘‘People cannot believe we went down to the ice cap, disassembled the airplane, brought it up one piece at a time and now have put it back together’ said Roy.’
- 1.1Computing Translate (a program) from machine code into a symbolic language.‘it is permissible for a lawful user to disassemble a computer program to determine its interfaces’
- ‘If you do get any red flags, re-run the batch, clicking the Export rather than the OK button, which will export a shell script that you can disassemble and tweak to track down and correct your problem.’
- ‘Rbmake Rocket Ebook and Mobipocket files can be disassembled with a set of command-line tools called Rbmake.’
- ‘I have spent the past 2 moths disassembling and rebuilding XP.’
- ‘For one thing, it requires the user to at least partly disassemble both the notebook and the desktop system.’
- ‘Then after having disassembled and analyzed the code, he simply needs a little patching and he gets a fully functional unprotected copy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.