Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Speak disrespectfully to or criticize.‘I don't like her dissing my friends’‘a campaign of forum postings and emails dissing the company’‘maybe you should stop dissing psychics and discover that part of yourself’
- ‘When you are dissing me, you are dissing Hollywood's new star couple.’
- ‘This week, politicians have been busily dissing opinion polls.’
- ‘The last thing I want to do is start dissing the judge.’
- ‘And dissing Rupert into the bargain, calling him ‘a terrorist’ indeed, is not only beneath you, but libellous.’
- ‘People should make an effort to learn more about it before they go dissing it, because there's lots of different kinds of feminism.’
- ‘At first, she won't speak to him, mad that he dissed her in front of their captain.’
- ‘Let's review: He strings you along while downright dissing his girlfriend behind her back.’
- ‘But Ray has slung an arrow through my heart by dissing Nick Cave.’
- ‘He looks so strong because of something he used to say during his first campaign, often after casually dissing some issue or other.’
- ‘I can't wait to get famous and have people start dissing me.’
- ‘Writing me and dissing people like this doesn't impress me.’
- ‘And she's still dissing a woman who stays at home as not having a real job.’
- ‘It's bad enough that he's forced to preside over four days of the Queen's jubilee coverage, but then he's attacked by BBC viewers for dissing Her Majesty.’
- ‘Like actually watching it, dissing Channel 5 is a guilty pleasure.’
- ‘So dissing your sis, poking fun of her or re-hashing your fights to everyone at the pool will most definitely backfire.’
- ‘It is about an older woman that kind of takes advantage of a younger guy and, you know, ends up dissing him at the end of the relationship.’
- ‘Hush Bert, I'm only posting my thoughts, not dissing you at all.’
- ‘You people need to stop dissing David Lee Roth and/or Van Halen.’
- ‘I really like science fiction, so rest assured, I wasn't dissing the genre.’
- ‘Not too long into the conversation, though, and we're back where we started: dissing the Hollywood grind.’
1980s: abbreviation of disrespect.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.