Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The business of selling products or services directly to the public, e.g. by mail order or telephone selling, rather than through retailers.
- ‘This focus means that a large part of marketing expenditure goes to dealing with trade, and the bulk of the rest on direct marketing to corporations.’
- ‘In the pharmaceutical industry, medical sales executives did direct marketing with doctors rather than patients.’
- ‘An Post's Liam Sheehan concedes that this is a book that hardly functions as a promotion for direct marketing but he says that was never the idea.’
- ‘In contrast to advertising, direct marketing grew for the fifth consecutive quarter.’
- ‘To many people, direct mail and direct marketing are synonymous.’
- ‘Farm product direct marketing is not a workable, or available, method of operation for most farmers.’
- ‘On several occasions I've given a talk on direct marketing called Beyond Farmers' Markets.’
- ‘Similar considerations applied to other forms of direct marketing, such as telephone - based marketing.’
- ‘The increase could be a result of other factors, such as direct marketing or traditional advertising, as well.’
- ‘The company offers viral marketing, opt-in reward programs and direct marketing.’
- ‘The point is, direct marketing allows you to get your business noticed.’
- ‘After all, like direct marketing, interactive advertising can be one-to-one.’
- ‘In the world of direct marketing, getting prospects to open their mail is half the battle.’
- ‘The first solely has to do with voting and the second will be used as a database for direct marketing.’
- ‘Unlike other forms of direct marketing, such as junk mail or telemarketing, spam should be considered a threat.’
- ‘We recently needed information on using direct marketing for retailers in Europe.’
- ‘He also wants to bolster revenues from hot growth areas such as direct marketing and Web-based communications.’
- ‘Navigating German law related to direct marketing can be tricky, too.’
- ‘Using databases in direct marketing is also a dynamic process.’
- ‘It's almost impossible to do direct marketing in an offline world to launch a new artist, but you can do it very cheaply in an online world.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.