Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The business of selling products or services directly to the public, e.g. by mail order or telephone selling, rather than through retailers.
- ‘This focus means that a large part of marketing expenditure goes to dealing with trade, and the bulk of the rest on direct marketing to corporations.’
- ‘In the world of direct marketing, getting prospects to open their mail is half the battle.’
- ‘It's almost impossible to do direct marketing in an offline world to launch a new artist, but you can do it very cheaply in an online world.’
- ‘The increase could be a result of other factors, such as direct marketing or traditional advertising, as well.’
- ‘Unlike other forms of direct marketing, such as junk mail or telemarketing, spam should be considered a threat.’
- ‘In contrast to advertising, direct marketing grew for the fifth consecutive quarter.’
- ‘On several occasions I've given a talk on direct marketing called Beyond Farmers' Markets.’
- ‘An Post's Liam Sheehan concedes that this is a book that hardly functions as a promotion for direct marketing but he says that was never the idea.’
- ‘The point is, direct marketing allows you to get your business noticed.’
- ‘Farm product direct marketing is not a workable, or available, method of operation for most farmers.’
- ‘In the pharmaceutical industry, medical sales executives did direct marketing with doctors rather than patients.’
- ‘To many people, direct mail and direct marketing are synonymous.’
- ‘After all, like direct marketing, interactive advertising can be one-to-one.’
- ‘He also wants to bolster revenues from hot growth areas such as direct marketing and Web-based communications.’
- ‘We recently needed information on using direct marketing for retailers in Europe.’
- ‘The first solely has to do with voting and the second will be used as a database for direct marketing.’
- ‘Using databases in direct marketing is also a dynamic process.’
- ‘Navigating German law related to direct marketing can be tricky, too.’
- ‘The company offers viral marketing, opt-in reward programs and direct marketing.’
- ‘Similar considerations applied to other forms of direct marketing, such as telephone - based marketing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.