[mass noun] The facility of retrieving data immediately from any part of a computer file, without having to read the file from the beginning.
- ‘Not to be obstructionist, but are you sure you need direct access to the device file?’
- ‘Also, there were issues related to fast search and direct access to full-text database.’
- ‘Moving the memory controller into the CPU gives it direct access to main memory.’
- ‘By writing data to a file in the filesystem created by the kernel module, the kernel module has direct access to it.’
- ‘The primary common feature is a search box with direct access to the search engine's main database.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.